The sound of a guitarist does not come from the complexity of his equipment but from the subtle blend of his soul, his mind, his heart and his body.
“When you get inside the note, you are going to get inside people’s hearts and you are going to get their attention!” Carlos Santana
In the 80s and 90s, I was working with a huge digital multi effects rack, because I was constantly looking for new sounds and new sensations.
However, by adding multi-effects between the guitar and the amplifier, I was losing the direct sound, so the touch of the fingers on the guitar which makes our own sound is distorted and it changes the feeling.
I now prefer simplicity and the stomp boxes, because they more easily allow the possibility of going live with the amp and working in overexposure with that. Whether it’s analog or digital stomp boxes or a mix of the two technologies (it’s sometimes interesting), the sound is often more natural. The goal is to get closer to yourself instead of away from it.
My current pedalboard consists of the following elements:
- Xotic Sp Compressor
- T-Rex Moller Booster
- TC-Electronic Flashback x4
- Hardwire Stereo Reverb RV-7
- MXR Phase 90
- Empress effects Nebulus
- Empress effects Heavy
- Xotic RC Booster
- Xotic BB Preamp
- Decibel Eleven Hot Stone deluxe
- Volume Roland EV-5
I am currently playing on two Squier guitars:
- The first being an 80’s model that I modified with hardware mostly from Fender. Two noiseless Fender pickups in the neck and center as well as a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge
- The second one is a quite astonishing « Classic Vibe » and still based on the model of the 80’s. It is equipped with three Fender noiseless pickups.
For acoustic parts, I usually play with:
- the enchanting « Ovation Country Artist » with nylon strings
- a « Simon and Patrick » with steel strings
- last but not least, I also play a Martin with steel strings
Subsequently I played on bass amp with a TC Electronic reverb in the effects loop and stomp boxes in front.
I currently enjoy playing on an Engel amp!